Graduation requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
Summary of Graduation Requirements Prior to August 1, 2012
GMC Graduation competency requirements for Associate Degree
Exempt/Complete LSS requirements. These courses are determined by the COMPASS placement test.
- Oral: ENG 101 or COM 101, COM 201 – or transfer credit
- Writing: completion of ENG 101 and 102 with grade of C or better
- Reading: completion or exemption of RDG 099
- Math: completion of college level algebra course with grade of C or higher
- Computer Literacy: CIS 200 with grade of "C" or higher
Complete "core" requirements
Area A - Essential Skills (15 hours)
Area B - Institutional Options (8 hours)
- ENG 101 (requires grade of "C")
- ENG 102 (requires grade of "C")
- Math 106/109 or higher – (check follow-on school!) requires a grade of "C"
Area C - Humanities and Fine Arts (10 hours)
- GMC 154 - Character Above All
- GMC 101 - College Success
- Choose (1) of the following
Humanities/Fine Arts Elective:
- Literature Class (ENG 201, 202, 221, or 222)
Area D - Natural Science, Math and Technology (22 hours)
- (ART 194, MUS 194, THE 194,COM 201, COM 101, ENG 2** or foreign language)
- Lab 1 - BIO 123, CHE 101, PSC 101 or BIO 255 (Nursing students - BIO 123, and BIO 124; Biology majors- CHE 101 and 102)
- Lab 2 - one of the above or 2nd in sequence (BIO 124, CHE 102, PSC 102)
Technology: CIS 200 (grade of C required) Area E - Social Sciences (20 hours)
- additional math or science class - MAT 200 recommended.
Foundation Courses for Major - 4-year schools will require a grade of "C" or better in all courses that will be a foundation to your major area. Area F – Concentration
- World History: HIS 101 or 102
- American History: HIS 121 or 122
- Political Science: PLS 101
- Social Science Elective: any HIS, PLS, SOC, PSY, ECO (economics is required for some nursing programs)
- The courses in this area will be determined by major. Minimum: 25 hours - some areas do require additional courses.
The term before all course work is complete see your advisor for the application for degree. Submit to the registrar's office. As part of this application you will need to complete the graduation survey; located on your GMC Online Account; print the confirmation page to attach to your degree application. The registrar's office will notify you of any problems concerning the completion of your degree. Degree will be awarded once all course work and completion of graduation competencies is confirmed.
- Associate in Science: complete requirements as listed
- Associate in Arts: Area C: requires 10 hours of foreign language, only 1 literature class.
- Applied Science degree does not required as many hours in the general core, but requires additional hours in the concentration.